
This post may not be particularly interesting to anyone else, but sometimes I'll just be sitting somewhere and want to write down what I'm thinking...which is exactly what just happened. So here I am.
There was nothing particularly exciting about today. Sure it was our first day of classes, but seeing as I only had one early in the day and did not receive any homework, there's not too much to report. As a matter of fact, I may even drop this class (economics--there's no math, but still, it's hard enough in English). I stayed at school for a while to talk to some other kids in the program, practice my Spanish, and just to be out of the house for a bit. Other than that, nothing really happened today. I know some of you must be wondering how I can be in Spain and have nothing to do. Well unfortunately, that's what happens when everyone is still trying to get their new lives organized and things are still somewhat in chaos. Once school picks up and I start getting to know people things will be better, but this afternoon consisted of me just coming back to my room and getting on my computer.
Then I decided I didn't want to sit here anymore. I'm in flipping SPAIN!!! No one was home, my roommate was (and actually still is) at school, but I decided to just get up and leave. Not that I went very far--at all. I simply walked to the small cafe right at the corner of my street to get a coffee. I had no idea what to order, but when I explained to the barista that I was new to Valencia (which she probably figured out beforehand) she kindly smiled and explained to me my options. I ordered cafe con leche and settled into a seat at a table. I felt a bit like an idiot--I had no iPod, no book, not even my little notebook where I've been writing down a bunch of vocab--and was just sitting there by myself. But oddly enough, it was nice to just sit there, sipping my coffee, taking in a tiny little piece of Valencia and its people. I'm not sure I even learned much from this little outing, but it was nice to just get out of the house for 20 minutes and see something new.

That sounds wonderful! It's nice to enjoy coffee and people watch. I used to do it all the time when I lived in Switzerland! xo
ReplyDeleteHeather!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!! I bet your coffee in Spain was way better than my coffee in Maryland. :) Love you and miss you so!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! The cafe is a great place to listen to people. Bring a book or something that makes it look like your doing something else and follow peoples conversations. I'm sure your Spanish will be great by the end of this trip.
ReplyDelete